Favorite Wineries and Wines.
At the 2012 Taste Washington! 225 Washington wineries poured over 800 wines, and more than 50 Northwest restaurants served specially prepared food. This was the 15th annual Taste Washington! in Seattle, Washington.
The quality was strong this year at Taste Washington. Which made it difficult at times to decide which wines were good and which were very good. Even so, I favored over half the wines I tasted this year. This is the list of the wineries I visited, my favorite wineries are noted as are my favorite wines.
Top 7 Favorite Wineries at Taste Washington!
Maison Bleu Winery,
Mark Ryan Winery,
I personally tasted 103 wines, and enjoyed every wine I sampled at Taste Washington 2012. However, of the 103 wines I tasted, there were 58 wines of exceptional quality and character, those are the wines on this list. The list is arranged alphabetically by winery name.
The wines on this list are my favorite wines at Taste Washington 2012.
* Favorites and homework wines, I suggest further research and tasting at home.
** Favorite of the favorites, best of the bunch, best expression of varietal/style.
1. aMaurice Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2008 Columbia Valley Chardonnay.
* 2008 Tobey Red Wine.
2. Amavi Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2009 Syrah Walla Walla Valley.
3. AntoLin Cellars, Yakima. Review posted.
* Syrah Elephant vineyard.
4. Betz, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2009 Clos de Betz.
* 2009 La Serrene Syrah.
5. Brian Carter Cellars, Woodinville. Review posted.
* 2006 Solesce.
6. CAVU, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon.
7. Columbia Crest, Patterson. Review posted.
*** 8. Corvus Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
Favorite Winery at Taste Washington 2012.
* Viognier 2010.
* 2008 Cuvee.
* 2007 Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon.
* 2009 Estate Petit Verdot.
* Corbel Sauvage.
9. Cougar Crest Estate, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* Cabernet Franc 2007.
* Cabernet Sauvignon 2007.
* Tempranillo 2008.
10. DeLille Cellars, Woodinville. Review posted.
* 2008 Signature Syrah.
* Chaleur Estate 2009 Red Mountain.
** 11. Efeste, Woodinville. Review posted.
1st runner up 2nd favorite winery at Taste Washington 2012.
* Lola Chardonnay.
* Final Final.
* Big Papa Red Mountain.
12. Figgins, Walla Walla. Review posted.
** 13. Gramercy Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
2nd runner up 3rd favorite winery at Taste Washington 2012.
* 2009 Minick Vineyard Columbia Valley Syrah.
* 2009 Lagniappe Columbia Valley Syrah.
* 2009 Syrah, Walla Walla, Les Collines.
** Overall Favorite Wine: The Third Man.
14. Hedges, Red Mountain. Review posted.
** Favorite Rose: Cabernet Franc Rose.
* 2008 Red Mountain.
15. Lodmell Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
** Favorite Sauvignon Blanc: Sauvignon Blanc 2010 Spring Creek Vineyards.
* Rose Estate Traditional Saginee 2010.
* 2007 Estate Merlot.
** 16. Maison Bleue Winery, Prosser. Review posted.
3rd runner up 4th favorite winery at Taste Washington 2012.
* 2010 Notre Vie Viognier.
* 2011 Rouse Mourvedre La Famille.
* 2009 Liberte Boushey Syrah.
** 17. Mark Ryan Winery, Walla Walla. Review posted.
4th runner up my 5th favorite winery at Taste Washington! 2012.
* Long Haul, 2009
* Dead Horse,
18. McKinley Springs, Horse Heaven Hills. Review posted.
* 2008 Syrah.
* 2008 Malbec.
*2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.
* Petit Verdot.
19. Michael Florentino Wine, Woodinville. Review posted.
* 2008 Miscoloto.
* 2009 Cabernet Franc.
20. Reininger Winery, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2007 Carmenere.
* 2008 Syrah.
21. Rotie Cellars, Walla Walla. Review posted.
22. Ryan Patrick Vineyards, Cashmere. Review posted.
* 2009 Reserve Chardonnay.
23. Southard Winery, Selah. Review posted.
* 2009 Lawrence Vineyard Syrah.
** 24. Treveri Cellars, Yakima. Review posted.
Favorite Sparkling Wines.
* Extra Brut.
** Syrah. Favorite red sparkler.
** Mueller Thurgeau. Favorite white sparkler.
25. Vin du Lac, Lake Chelan. Review posted.
* LEHM 2010 Gewurztraminer.
26. Waters Winery, Walla Walla. Review posted.
* 2009 Loess Syrah -
* 2009 Interlude -
27. Whitestone Vineyard and Winery, Wilbur. Review posted.
* 2008 Cabernet Franc.
* 2008 Merlot.
* 2008 St. Vincent Meritage.
28. Walter Clore Center Legends of Wine. Review posted.
Vertical Tasting 2004 – 2009, would have favorited, but these wines are not for sale.
29. 509 Wine Company, Fremont District, Seattle WINE WORLD. Review posted.
* 2009 Roots Syrah.
~ End of the list.
For the first time, Taste Washington (Taste) was produced by Seattle's Convention and Visitors Bureau as a result of a new partnership with the Washington State Wine Commission. Some of the changes at this year's Taste? Taste was expanded to two days, wine seminars were held over the same two days as Taste at the CenturyLink Field Event Center. This change in venue made it easier for seminar attendees to visit with wineries afterward. Several of the wineries I spoke with appreciated having two days to visit with customers, trade and media. Taste seemed less frenetic to me this year and crowds more manageable.
Not only were wines poured at Taste Washington, but several Washington State Cideries were pouring apple cider too. Yes, Washington Cider! I'm quite excited to see quality cider being produced in Washington State. There is so much going on in the Washington cider industry, that it is deserving of a post and a couple more posts on individual Washington Cider companies. Really an interesting development, the quality is strong and the passion is there too. More to come.