Wine of the Week: Skylite Cellars 2009 Syrah @skylitecellars
You had me at first sip...
Sometimes I forget to take advantage of living in wine country. Life and responsibility take center stage. Then I remember how close I live to the wealth of Washington wine country. Minutes and not many miles from home, I have access to some of the best wines made in the world. It's all right here in Southeastern Washington. Accessing the delightful wonders of Walla Walla wine country is a mere one hour drive.
I recently visited with Ashley Bruton at her family owned Skylite Cellars in Walla Walla, Washington. Ashley was a wonderful host and shared many delicious Skylite Cellars red wines. It was a comfortable, fun, engaging visit. The wine which captivated me this time was her 2009 Syrah.
|View of the tasting room from the loft.|
Skylite Cellars is on the outskirts of Walla Walla on the old highway. The new highway bypasses their winery along with several others. You will have to make the effort to find this winery. It's worth your time to put this part of Walla Walla wine country on your itinerary. Thank me later.
Tasting Notes Skylite Cellars 2009 Syrah
Color: Dark garnet.
Nose: Blackberry, some funk, spice, violets, licorice.
Palate: Yum, blueberry, spice, creamy, tarragon, lavender.
- At 10 minutes, round, fragrant, earthy, leather, coffee, fine tannin, balanced, impressive finish.
- At 20 minutes, smoky, fruity, medium body, creamy fluid, blueberry-licorice finish.
- At 35 minutes, fuller in the mouth, chocolate-ginger bread, blueberry, licorice, grippy on the tongue.
- At 50 minutes, showoff. Pure pleasure.
- At one hour, violets, lavender, blueberry juice, burnt coffee, burnt crème, acai berry, fluid, sensual, cola, green tea, focused finish, juicy, lingered. Lovely. Lovely.
Blend: 60% Minnick Vineyard, Yakima, 40% River Rock Vineyard, Walla Walla
Closure: Natural cork
Purchased at the winery
25 Campbell Road
Walla Walla, WA 99362
|Skylite Cellars Winery in Walla Walla, Washington.|
Music Pairing - Langhorne Slim, "For a little while." from the album: Be Set Free
*Note: River Rock Vineyard is farmed and owned by Dana Dipple. It is one of the warmest spots in the Walla Walla Valley. The soil is made up of big river stone cobble that was once the bed of the Walla Walla River. There is a great deal of excitement surrounding this sub-appellation of the Walla Walla AVA. For more information see:
- Tasting Room Magazine, "Walla Walla Valley: A Matter Of Rocks" By Sean P. Sullivan.
- Walla Walla Lifestyles, "Walla Walla Celebrates Syrah" By Andy Perdue, May 2014.
Skylite Cellars is located in Walla Walla, Washington. They also have tasting rooms in Spokane and Kirkland, Washington. I encourage to seek out their wines and to visit their tasting rooms.
Related post: Big Red Hiney by Skylite Cellars