|photo: Hightower Cellars 09 Cabernet Sauvignon.|
My first impressions of the Hightower Cellars 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon:
- Bottle is tall, punt is deep; which I like when pouring for guests. The long cork presented well and was fun to remove.
- Dark color, a bit cloudy.
- Cherry, vanilla, chocolate, truffle oil, pepper mill on nose at opening.
- Good mouth feel, silky tannin, pleasantly bright top of palate.
- Cherry, vanilla, cocoa slid into the medium finish.
- Nose had expanded, cherry/chocolate with a minty floral quality, unexpected and delightful.
- Fuller in the mouth, cheeks, tongue, gums covered by expansive feel and flavors of medium tannin, cherry and chocolate, a little tart on gums and front palate.
- After an hour, this wine was just starting to show off, rounder flavors and mouth feel put a big smile on my face.
At two hours, cherry, mint-chocolate, toasted rice, and a delightful rich finish, oh so nice.
For me, three hours seems to be the magic window. At that point in time it was all violets, fresh tobacco, cherry, vanilla, tar, pepper and cola sultriness.
If you can't tell, this wine deserves to be decanted for a minimum of two hours or held in cellar for a few more years. It was lovely and I recommend it. I'd suggest pairing this wine with London Broil or shaved ham.
|photo: Kelly and Tim Hightower in their estate vineyard.|
Kelly and Tim Hightower have developed a style of wine I certainly appreciate. They retain more of the flavor of the fruit in their wine by minimizing the filtering before bottling (Kelly said they only use a “big bug catcher”). Of course they do much more than that in crafting Hightower Cellars. I’m telling everyone I know how good their wines are. Reward yourself with a visit to Hightower Cellars tasting room.
Blend: 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 10% Malbec
AVA: Columbia Valley
Grapes were hand picked and hand sorted
Closure: natural cork
Sample provided by the winery
Tasting room is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11AM - 5PM.
- Two Great Wines from Hightower Cellars
- Murray 2008 Red Mountain Syrah
- Hightower Cellars - Red Mountain Bottling Line